For the teacher
This task starts with the acquisition of recycled materials, which are then used to design products. The task is well-suited to being completed in groups. It can be used to increase awareness of the circular economy and/or do charity work.
- Plan a material acquisition event for a fashion show, exhibition or costumes for a day care centre’s end of year event, for example. You can carry out the collection of materials at a school, housing company, local shop or day care centre.
- First, ask for permission at the location you have chosen and present your idea to them: How you intend to organise the collection of clothing and how you will raise awareness about it. How you intend to use the collected materials and what you will make from them. Consider how you will present the recycled materials as new products to the donors.
- Design and make clothing from the recycled materials according to your idea. For example, you can make animal-themed costumes for children at a day care centre.
- Plan a fashion show or exhibition for the clothing made of recycled materials. You can also organise an event for selling clothing made of recycled materials for a particular cause, such as using the profits to purchase playground equipment for a day care centre.
- Consider what you will do with the donated clothes that were not used in the manufacturing process and what to do with the cutting waste.
- Document the process.